Friday, December 9, 2011

Information Architecture for the World Wide Web, 3rd Ed.

When I first saw "World Wide Web" in the title of the book that I was assigned, I cringed. I thought, "I'm no web guru, this book is going to make no sense to me."After reading it, though, this book is not meant to apply ONLY to the web. In fact, the authors go through multiple aspects of Information Architecture that can be applied to any field.

The largest emphasis of the book is the idea of an Information Ecology. That is, the relationships between the user, the content, and the context. In all documents and products, this relationship is malleable and organic - it is something that we, as Information Architects and Professional Writers need to be aware of and try to master. Successful end products, good Information Architecture, and happy stakeholders, result from researching about each of the three parts of the Information Ecology.

The book also goes deep into the heart of what Information design really is and how to explain it to others. This is the sort of introduction that people who are new to the field need to have. This book spells the basics out in interesting and helpful ways that I wish I had in front of me when I entered the field.

For a full review of Information Architecture for the World Wide Web, 3rd Ed please follow the link below:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G_GQxezGWLwLlSgxdOgSVhdQhVe841l6nApedCcrrMY/edit

No comments:

Post a Comment